Police: Baby choked on marijuana filter in Bradenton

March 21, 2013 

— Two Bradenton parents have been charged with child neglect after their baby ingested a mesh filter used to smoke marijuana, damaging its throat, according to police.

James Dunlap, 24, allegedly changed the filter on Sunday morning when he was smoking marijuana from a pipe at his home in the 4500 block of 47th Street West, according to Bradenton police.

About 11 a.m., Megan Johnson, 24, gave the baby a bath and laid it on the couch to apply lotion. While on the couch, the baby ingested the used filter and “began to choke, cough and vomit in an attempt to dislodge the screen,” the arrest affidavits state.

Johnson noticed the baby was coughing up blood and took the child to the hospital.

“After speaking with the doctor who removed the object, I learned that had the screen turned only slightly more inside the baby’s throat, it could have resulted in a fatality,” writes the officer who prepared the report.

Neither the baby’s age nor gender is listed in the report, as the infant is a juvenile victim.

Dunlap and Johnson were arrested Wednesday with child neglect with great bodily harm. They are being held at the Manatee County jail without bond.

Bradenton Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service