UM notebook

UM athletic department will still receive share of bowl money from ACC

sdegnan@MiamiHerald.comNovember 20, 2012 

Hurricanes interim athletic director Blake James clarified Monday that despite self-imposing another bowl ban, the Hurricanes would receive its share of bowl money from the Atlantic Coast Conference.

“Yes, we still get a revenue share from the conference for all conference distributions,” James said. “As a member of the ACC we’ll receive an equal share of the ACC distribution.’’

James also said the administration has “not had any conversations about any self-imposed penalties for basketball at this point.”

• Offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch agreed that having the extra 15 practices that come with bowl games (plus another five or so if UM were to compete in the ACC title game) would have been beneficial, “but it is what it is.”

“We’ll go out there and have a great spring,” he said. “Everybody is going to be back. Everybody is going to be playing a little bit stronger, a little bit faster, a little bit fresher, and their knowledge base of the offense will be so much better.’’

• Defensive coordinator Mark D’Onofrio said he told his players that his last year with UM coach Al Golden as a coach at Temple “we went 8-4 and got shut out of a bowl. A larger conference took the game. So here we are, three years in a row being bowl eligible and haven’t been to one. I feel bad for our kids.’’

SUSAN MILLER DEGNAN

Bradenton Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service