1. MANATEE (4-0) 50 points After what the Hurricanes did to Southeast last week, do they really need to play Braden River this Friday? The only team in these parts that can beat Joe Kinnans 11 is Joe Kinnans 11, and Cord Sandberg wont allow that to happen.
2. PALMETTO (5-0) 40 Dave Marino has a running back controversy, which isnt going to garner him any sympathy. He has to choose between Josh Hicks and Cory Crawford. Its like having to choose between Albert Einstein, Charles Darwin or Galileo to run your science lab.
3. SOUTHEAST (3-2) 30 Despite getting pummeled by archrival Manatee, this is a good football team. Besides, the Noles dont have any time to feel sorry for themselves with a big district game coming Friday at Arcadia DeSoto. A win over the Bulldogs can push Manatee out of their memory.
4. LAKEWOOD RANCH (3-2) 20 For a few brief moments, the Mustangs flirted with destiny and led Palmetto 7-0. Unfortunately for them, reality set in and they were trounced 43-7. But they wont face a better team for the rest of the regular season, though these baby-faced kids dont care who you put them up against.
5. CARDINAL MOONEY (3-2) 6 The Cougars have crashed-landed back to earth with losses to Lemon Bay and Clearwater Central Catholic. Now the big chore for head coach Josh Smithers is to put all the pieces together. That might be harder than putting Humpty Dumpty back together.
Also receiving points: Bayshore 4.
Voting: 10 points for first, 8 for second, 6 for third, 4 for third and 2 for fifth.
Voters: Alan Dell, John Lembo, Jason Dill, Timothy R. Wolfrum.