MANATEE -- When a small flame shot from the battery compartment on a forklift being used at Family Dollar at 1505 53rd Ave. W., management quickly called 911.
Firefighters from Southern Manatee and Cedar Hammock raced to the scene at around 3:45 p.m. Monday and quickly doused the flames, leaving no smoke, but a distinct chemical odor, which filled the store.
"That smell is from all the electrical wiring burning up," said Southern Manatee Deputy Chief Tim Berry. "They will have to address that before they can reopen."
No one was hurt in the incident, said store manager Jim Mitchell.
"We'll close down for awhile and reopen later," Mitchell added.
"The flame was about eight inches high," Berry said. "We got it out pretty quickly."
Fire department officials don't know yet what caused the fire.